April 21, 2009

Yom HaShoah & Columbine

Today is Holocaust and Heroism Remembrance Day, beginning yesterday eve. Yesterday, the 20th, was the ten year remembrance of the Columbine High School Massacre, killing thirteen people, wounding more.

Since Columbine is in Denver, our local news was full of remembrances. My main remembrance is the fact that the carpenter who put up crosses at Clement Park next to the high school put up 15 crosses, which included the two for the killers who killed themselves. When I drive by, tho no crosses now ... I will never forget.

There was a lot of anger over those two crosses, which were soon taken away. There was a lot of talk and arguing over it all - like talk about Christ dying for all, including those who kill.  

How to commemorate is still discussed for these horrific happenings. As yesterday progressed I wondered why we/I write things on our calendars for past rememberings. I thought of so many times in scripture God asks us to remember, to retell the stories. Is there redemption in all stories, in these stories?
  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...