April 21, 2009

Weaving Potholders

While I await the snow's melting ...

I no longer have kids around to weave me potholders (almost 20 year old Dawson would if I asked him). My favorite over the years are these ones. I could go out and just buy some, but ... So after getting sick of the last dirty orange ones (Dawson one year wove a ton, using up my stash of loops, cuz he wanted to make a rug of them ... so I found it in the shed and have been using the usable ones ... but now they're all gone). I'm weaving my own. It's been fun.

Harrisville Designs has potholder kits and the best cotton loops. Don't buy the kits with nylon loops - useless for hot things, good grief! Harrisville also has the best colored wool for the felting I do.

I've been asked, so I'll post it here: My main source for felting wool and kits is from Halcyon Yarn. Halcyon sells some of the Harrisville wool and kits, like the potholders, too.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Author kareyswan.com !
Bravo, you were not mistaken :)

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

Elsa said...

I love that kind of potholders, too! I remember making them as a child. (I'm 64.) Our neighbor's granddaughter made some for me last year, and I wanted to buy some more loops for her, but they seemed rather expensive, so I googled for how to make my own loops, and lo and behold, I found instructions! They are made out of old T-shirts and I just happened to have several. Here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiobeerhorst/sets/72157594490161717/

She said her Grandma trimmed them down in width a little bit. She promptly made 3 more for me. Those are my go-to potholders. I don't use them in the oven, as they aren't very big, but I use them all the time when cooking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...