January 19, 2008

Flannery O'Connor Quote


"Our response to life is different if we have been taught only a definition of faith than if we have trembled with Abraham as he held a knife over Isaac."

I need to learn more every day about living in faith, and not just talk about it.

I grew up in 'a faith' and am glad for that foundation. But I came to a place of wanting to know faith for myself and not just live what I understood from what I was taught. So over the years I still continue to grow in my faith, God guiding me along many trails. And the bunny trails always lead me home. God asks me to make myself at home in Him, and I do ... I am.

But oh ... the trembling with Abraham ... I've often sat with that story, and my imagination can't go far enough ... I can't really imagine it! In my own small story, maybe God's brought me to a similar small place, for small me, with a small faith.

A faith that grows from a willingness to die to myself, to whatever's important to me ... I think my personality trusts there's a hidden sacrifice ram in the bushes; something better on the other side. Like trust in redemption and resurrection to something new and whole.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...