November 15, 2007

Rhubarb Crunch

I'm taking a break before making us bean tostadas for supper, and then before cutting up veggies to go with a dip I made earlier for Monte's Geolly Boys coming for a geology meeting this evening. I just put a second rhubarb crunch in the oven since I broke into the other one and Monte's complaining about it not being enough. And besides, we hope to have some left over for us!

I made a California Dip with even amounts of sour cream and mayo. But instead of putting an onion mix in from the store, I sauted up till golden and some browning, chopped onions. They need to cool before being added. I parboil carrots, beans, and broccoli and chill. But our favorite is preboiled and cooled fingerling potatoes. Them and snow peas are the best in the dip.

I had to have this rhubarb recipe I tasted when we were at a party, and have made it several times this summer. But I've not made it with frozen rhubarb. Heather and me had harvested and froze bags of it in the quantity for this dish. Thus the piece eaten out of it. I had to see if the frozen rhubarb made it mushy, but no, as good as ever! I didn't let it thaw, but broke the pieces up in the bag, before adding.

Lightly grease a 9x9 and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
First mix together 1/2 cup butter and
1 cup brown sugar, till crumbly. Then add in
1/2 cup flour, and then
1 cup oats. I do it in my food processor.
Spread 1/2 in the dish, then layer the rhubarb, and then the other 1/2 of the mixture.
Put 1/2 cup cut up pecans (I add a bit more) on top. I press in a bit.
Bake for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...