November 12, 2007

Felt sculpture of me













I read another quote I like -

"I am not young enough to know everything."
--Oscar Wilde

It makes me think of a sculpture of me I did last January. It's from a picture of me taken in high school. The sculpture is almost entirely of wool and I did both needle felting and the wet felt process.

My write up for it, when it was in a gallery was: "As I get older I seem to be coming full circle back to my youth." And now as it's on display, it's title is, "Karey sees anew".

I like to ponder in my heart Jesus saying, "Come to me as a child".

4 comments:

Leslie said...

What a wonderful sculpture! I'm just starting out, and would love advice on how to make firm knitted-felted structures. Can you help?

Karey said...

This is not knitted felting. It's using sheep fleece and a barbed needle.

Karey said...

Since I didn't post my process, I'll add to the last comment. There's a wire framework to support the figure with some added foam, so I didn't have to use so much wool. But I needled on all the wool. And then the clothes I did with the wet felt process and needled the clothes on. Then she's bolted and nailed into the board stand so that she's pretty solid. Her hair is from goat mohair I dyed.

Karey said...

There's patterns for knit and felt animals I've done before and stuffed. But needlefelting is more of an 'art'.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...