September 10, 2008

Aerating/Weeding ;^)

I can't believe what I just did!! I aerated our lawn with our electric drill!

ACTUALLY ... I read in one of my garden books about planting some very early Spring flower bulbs in the grass. Since we've been doing tons of landscaping this year, we left only a small bit of lawn. I ordered a bunch more flower bulbs to plant in these new areas. So when I read about putting this flower in the grass ...

I've been wanting to aerate the grass, but not rent this huge aerator, and overseed the grass with new grass seed. I got this auger that goes on the drill for planting bulbs, but it's rather big and these bulbs are really small. So I put the 1/2" drill bit in, and started drilling holes in the grass.

I threw out the 100 bulbs of Chionodoxa, Glory-of-the-Snow (blue flowers), scattering them all over the grass. Then I'd drill holes and periodically put a bulb in it. And you know what? It's a great way to dig out dandelion and other weeds. Then I scattered grass seed and compost over the area.

I wonder what our neighbor's think ;^) of our doings sometimes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karey,
Hello! I am an admirer of yours from afar. I am a happy homemaker with 4 little ones and desire a healthier lifestyle (as we can afford, growing into one).

I have recently started grinding my own grain and made the decision to make as many things myself as I can. I have been keeping a blog (www.xanga.com/ambigousinamber) of the recipes I really like and would like to repeat. When I suddenly realized that I was a copy-righting (is that the right word?) (well, I was actually not respecting the copy-right of) some of your recipes!
A friend lent me your book "Hearth & Home' and this is what I was pulling from as I made things. I want to apologize and ask if you would like me to take them down. I think I gave credit where credit was due although with the craziness of my life I may have missed something. Please let me know what you would like me to do.

The reason I had put the blog up in the first place was to have a 'home' that wasn't an easily lost piece of paper. It wasn't intended to replace your book or copy all of your recipes. Just until I could afford to purchase (and/or find) your book myself.
My email is ambiguousinamber@aol.com
Thank you!
Kcaarin Pineau

Karey said...

I do post recipes here sometimes, but I now keep a 'recipe box' on my computer to put both my recipes and ones I find online into. It categorizes them and all. I think it's in connection with the Food Network.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...