September 8, 2008

The Mayflower

I'm a descendant of a great, great ... grandfather that sailed to America on the Mayflower. They finally, after lots of problems, set sail in 1620, on September 6, arriving in what was to become Massachusetts, 2 months and 5 days later! (Gregorian calendar would change that to Sept 16 and November 21.)

Use your imagination (I have Bradford's journal) landing in a totally new world at the start of winter?!! I don't like to imagine. It had to be awful!

101 passengers on a ship ninety feet long and twenty-six feet wide. Eating only dried fish, cheese, and beer. And only a single slop bucket for sanitary accommodation. No bathing ... and think of the stench of nausea - when only standing on terra firma abates that (I know!). Only one passenger died at sea.

The Mayflower didn't sail home until April and the passengers used it for their winter quarters. Only 53 people survived the winter.

2 comments:

Marci said...

Karey, I too had ancestors on the Mayflower. What was the name of yours? Mine was Isaac Allerton. Also, RObert Cushman was my ancestor, but he did not come on the Mayflower, but on the Fortune. The first recorded sermon in the new world was preached by him on my birthday way back then. =)

Karey said...

Mine was William Bradford. My mom's mom's maiden name was Bradford.
Christianity did not carry on through the generations, because the Colorado Bradfords were not Christians. As a parent, I've looked at the heritage of those who seem to have successfully shared their faith in such a way that their children choose to make the faith of their parents, their own faith.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...