April 25, 2011

Quinoa Salad

We had Easter supper at Travis and Sarah's home, along with some of their friends. Sunday evening is usually open house. We've been there many times; spending the night since Travis has Monday's off of work. Hospitality is something they truly practice. Everyone is told the meal's theme and are to bring something to share.



Sarah cooked a ham and scalloped potatoes for this meal. Emily brought a apple pie and green beans. Amy brought bread and ice cream. Stevo brought watermelon and drinks. I brought some of my homemade wine and a quinoa salad.



QUINOA SALAD
Cook and chill (like 20 minutes - and I like to toast the quinoa in the pan first) -

1/3 C quinoa

2/3 C water

Then mix in -

1 C cherry tomatoes halved or chopped tomatoes

1/2 C diced cucumber

1/4 C diced onion (I did a lot of green onions since I have them growing in my greenhouse - or use lots of chives)

2 Tb lime/ lemon juice

1/2 tsp grd cumin

salt and pepper

1 avacado

Serve over spinach



Since we were serving buffet style and extra people, I did some things different besides extra amounts. I added some balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I'd precooked the quinoa at home and added in the juice and cumin. The rest I chopped and added that afternoon before supper. I'd periodically stir it adding in some spinach, come back and stir in more spinach, then add the avacado right before supper. We did put the extra spinach to the side if anyone wanted to add more to their plate.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...