April 19, 2011

Banana Bread (+ Sandwiches)

You should see my recipe card! It was covered in plastic, which has been somewhat melted away in places and the paper is yellowed. It came from a neighbor friend of my mom's when I was very little. I've tried other banana bread recipes and this is still my favorite. Whenever bananas are turning dark brown to black I make banana bread, or put them in bags in the freezer till I'm ready to make it.



BANANA BREAD
1 scant C sugar

1/4 C melted unsalted butter

1 egg

2 med bananas

Mash the bananas with a fork in a bowl along with the above ingredients. Add -

2 C flour (whatever I've got ground in the freezer - often oat or barley flour, sometimes kamut or spelt - I try to not use wheat for everything, and soda breads and muffins and cookies ... don't need the gluten of wheat for rising)

1 tsp baking soda

pinch of salt

(1/2 C nuts)

Bake in greased loaf tin about 1 hour at 350.



For my Spring Tea I spread the banana bread thin slices with Nutella. I thinly sliced a Granny Smith apple and put it in lemon juice added to water for a bit to help keep them from turning brown cuz we weren't eating them right away. With the apple slices in the middle put the two 'nut-buttered' slices together to make a sandwich.



Use banana bread for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too. What other possibilities? . . .

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...