January 26, 2011

Gandhi using a Spinning Wheel in India - Gandhi video footage



I'm posting this because as a spinner, I knew Gandhi spun, and worked at getting a lot of people to spin. It's a way for people to earn an income. But it's also a very peaceful tactile activity to do.

We just went to the National Western Stock Show; here in Denver every January. I used to demonstrate spinning, and sometimes weaving, at it a lot. I've demonstrated spinning at many other places too. I should demonstrate again - a great way to get more yarn! I've knit two sweaters and a shawl from my handspun and dyed sheep wool.

Gandhi is spinning cotton. It's a very short fiber. At a weaving guild sale years ago I bought a large box of cotton. I've been scared to spin it, but now, having read about a new book coming out by Rita Buchanan - Spinning Cotton - I'm going to challenge myself to give spinning cotton a try this year. More than a try, but tackle it till I get it!

A shawl I knit from my handspun wool

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Karey, Your fiber is beautiful. I can only hope someday mine will be half as nice. I love the shawl pattern. Is it one you can share? I'm just so tickled that I have found you through the magic of internet. Your book has been such an insiration to me. It is dog eared and worn but I love it so.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...