June 14, 2009

Consuming Happenings

Some people have asked where I am? Well, I am currently sitting outside right now as I write/type looking out at my beautiful environment: what I've created and what's naturally surrounding us, i.e., lush (for now) meadows, evergreen woods and aspen grove. Lush because we've been getting lots of moisture. it's been cool, not quite summer yet. Cool? While most of you are experiencing close to 100 degree days, our highs have been close to 70 and nights around 40. Birds are a big piece of the scene for me. I'd be hearing them anyway, but I've created a wonderful habitat for them that they seem to love and frequent.

My landscape architecture schooling is finally getting to show it's results in my home setting and especially now having an electric fenced yard. Finally getting to see what plantings look like when not destroyed by critters - primarily elk! It's satisfying and relaxing now to see the elk outside my domain. See them relaxing too, bedded down in the lush meadow? Their antlers are in velvet right now and not fully grown. Antlers are the fastest growing ... (I forget - help Monte).

This is the busiest time of the year for me, that's why I've not been writing. I'm still planting. Mother nature has done weird twists with the extra moisture. And then us messing with mother nature ... Like the hot tub we put in this past winter. We bulldozed into the hill so it would be nestled into the hillside. Good thing Monte walled it in with a drainage tube and gravel, but the flower bed and rock work Dawson got ready for me around the tub area collapsed and is still oozing with a slow running stream. I guess better now than later with lots of stuff planted. It's so easy (and cheaper) to dream and order lots of bare-root plants in February and have them come in the mail. But what if mother nature butts in showing me I'm not in total control?! Some things survived sitting in their wrappings in the cold garage and finally got planted when the snow was finally gone and are now leafing out - so I know they are alive. And some things I had to pot and let sit in my greenhouse and are now sitting, still in pots, outside awaiting some areas to get finished for planting.

Other happenings? Company: after the nephews of one of the last posts we've had a Norwegian guest and then Monte's geology partner Stan, and of course, lots of Dawson's friends, and then Heather with Will are here. So more cleaning (more organizing - going thru stuff I've not looked at for years!) and cooking. Heather's in the guest room, so we moved a dresser in there and I cleaned out the closet (think about what that would mean sister dear!). I set up the laundry room as another guest room with our nice air-bed for other guests that'll be occasionally coming.

The garage is clean now with Dawson having made a workshop under Monte's office deck, so the treadmill could have a final resting place, out of the laundry room and into the garage. Dawson and friend Nick finished the house siding out back. Dawson and friends took down rotting dog kennel and cleared out the whole area to that side of the house (wood piles, etc), moving his old ferret house (housing his old large fish tanks, gerbil stuff, and my garden stuff) down to attach to the old chicken coop. The coop will never house chickens again and is being cleaned up for storage of a differing 'beast' - occasionally used junk. Dawson and friends have been hauling rocks and dirt to finish back landscaping. They've had to put down boards at times since the wheelbarrows would sink in mud made from the oozing hot tub hillside.

Heather's enjoying being here. She's using my laptop, since it's accesible, and maybe that keeps me from writing a post too - but no, not really, I'm just outside mostly, tho I am outside now, but writing a post. Having come from hot Texas it's a bit cool for her, but she's liking it better than the humid heat. Summer will come here too soon. We'll typically jump from Winter/Spring weather to Summer heat - which for us averages in the 80's-90's.

Dawson just came out having awakened and is opening out his tents to air and dry, telling me climbing Pikes Peak yesterday was the hardest climb him and his climbing friends have ever done. Why? Because of the snow still on the ground in places. Well duh, what did they expect this time of year?!! The mountains are still getting snow (we've come close still)!

So current life is getting used to the new patterns of summer activity and having a Grandbaby around. It's good he's not crawling around yet - that'll be a new house reorganization come the holidays when Heather plans to return again for a spell. (Oh a bird just scared me, landing on my laptop and scared himself!) So the new season of life? being Grandparents.

4 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

Karey, this was like a long newsy letter. Loved the photos your place is wonderful! That baby is so cute, beautiful skin and eyes. I finally go to hold one of these new little ones as someone LOCALLY had a baby. All these little ones so far away, never a snuggle to enjoy.
I had a feeling you were gardening and then read the post above this to have that freak storm! hopefully you still have plants protected in the greenhouse. My garden has gone crazy, it's just absolutely lush. No we begin the battle of the bugs.

You are personally responsible for making me so curious about the taste of elk. Never have tasted it but so many of your recipes and discussions are about game versus store bought meat.

With the prices I'm not eating much meat of any type and that's fine too.

How is your friend that was injured in the car wreck?

Marci said...

Karey, what are the tall purple flowers in the top picture?

Karey said...

Marci, the tall purple flowers are lilacs - they are a bit bowed over and lots of their purple-pink is on the ground. Lots of shredded flowers and leaves on the ground all over the place. I'm going to have to take a picture. I hear we're to get a repeat of wild storms today too and then this 1 1/2 weeks of severe storms is supposed to stop and warmth come.

Karen, my friend is out of the ICU as of a few days ago and moved into rehab area. She's a miracle lady. If you go to the site I posted, the whole hospital knows of her and her family and their love of God.

We no longer hunt and eat elk until the wasting disease, like mad-cow, is proven to not pass to humans. It's shown up recently in Colorado wildlife. So we eat organic or at least no antibiotic/hormone meats and will soon get a grass-fed pastured cow in our freezer. I have a source for bulk organic chicken I freeze several times a year. And Monte fishes.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

I loved the tour (through the ages, really) of your homesteading and gardens. I, too, have been away in the gardens with less posting of thoughts but not fewer things crossing my mind. I do believe blogging is easier in the wintry months. Last summer I began the "project" and we were surrounded by wildfires and forced indoors. This year it is clear and beautiful with milder temps (until the past few days), and so I have played out more. It is good.

I love to write on laptop out on my deck with the cool breeze, the fountains splashing, and the birds singing. Beauty inspires me! As does reading your delightful posts about life. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...