January 11, 2009

Velveteen House III

I'm all packed. Monte and me are flying out tomorrow morning to Texas to stay with Heather and await their baby. We're wanting to be there sooner than later, since Bill is being redeployed to Iraq for his fourth time, before the baby is due.

Yesterday, I had a felting class all day. I've not done one all day there before. It worked! Customers at the shop were very interested in what we were doing, and there may be demands for more classes. One of my students printed "Birth Certificates" for all the students to fill out and keep, since the main part of the class is creating a 'person' - I was to sign it as the 'Midwife'. That student originally came thinking she was going to create a Molly. "But they often create themselves" I said, "and what if 'it' wants to be someone else, and you are not letting it be itself?!" Her person altered to a Priscilla, and finally an Ethel (really hilariously cute - I took a picture of it with my iPhone).

This morning we put meat in the crockpot and got out tortillas, chilies, etc from the freezer. Travis and Sarah arrived this late afternoon with three other couples, to go skiing in the morning. Dawson will take us to the airport, rent telemark skis, and join them skiing.

Good thing we keep pads in the bunk house for overflow of sleepers. So a couple is in the guest room, another in the laundry room, another in the living room and another in the great room.

They basically threw the supper together (and cleaned up) while I was finishing up laundry and packing. Now extrovert Monte is visiting with them while they play a game.

I'll be writing from Heather's. How will upper 50's - low 60's feel with 90% humidity (what to pack)? I plan on cooking simple, exercising - like walking Max the dog a lot (my exercise belly-dance DVD didn't come), reading, and knitting. Heather wants me to help her look at her home and help organize it better and make it cozy. Monte will do some geology and not be able to stay as long as me. 

2 comments:

Rob said...

Ooops. That explains it. I called today to wish you Happy Birthday and got the answering machine. I had forgotten you all were in TX. Anyways, Happy Birthday sis!

Say hello to Heather and family.

Renee said...

I was SO excited to find your blog. I read your book "Hearth and Home" about 12 years ago, and it has been my favorite since then. I have taken alot from you and applied it here at our home (baking from scratch, I haven't bought a loaf of bread in about 10years, homeschool, making home a haven etc.) At one time you were due to publish the book "Homemaking Beyond Maintence" and I never have seen it come out. Will it ever be published? Do you have any other books out there? I also have a set of homeschool conference tapes that did have your talk on the book. I also read Monte's book "Romancing Your Child's Heart" and enjoyed that as well. You have played a role in who I have become today. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...