February 24, 2012

Sourdough Cheese or Plain Crackers




Rye Sourdough Cheese Crackers



































































I've been making homemade crackers for years. In fact I've got four recipes in my Hearth and Home cookbook I wrote seventeen years ago. Plain wheat thins and adding grated cheese have always been my favorite. I've often brought them places along with homemade mustard and/or a good cheese. The only thing I'd change now-adays would be soaking the flour in the liquid overnight, as the more I read the more I think that's the healthiest way to make anything with flour, unless you use sprouted grain flour. And as I wrote in my book ... think beyond wheat flour. We consume enough wheat in breads - everything else can be made from other grain flours. Our favorite crackers now are -




SOURDOUGH CHEESE CRACKERS

1C sourdough (click here for recipe)

1/3C melted butter or olive oil

1 1/4-1/2 flour

Mix this till a stiff dough, not too sticky, but tacky. Cover the bowl and let it soak for at least 8 hours.



When ready to make the crackers, preheat the oven to 350. I usually grease the counter with olive oil and my hands, then flatten the dough onto the counter. The hope, is to not be too sticky. If it is then you'll have to mix in some more flour till not too sticky. My sourdough is made with rye flour. When adding the flour I use a 7-grain flour. Once the dough is flattened on your counter, add -



1/4 tsp each salt, garlic, and onion powder (any seasoning you desire)

1/4 tsp baking soda



Knead to incorporate, then knead in

1/2C grated cheese



Divide in half and roll out thin to cookie sheet edges. Score, cutting into small squares - I have a fluted rolling tool, or you could use a pizza cutter. Bake 15 minutes. I often just turn the oven off at this point and leave them in the cooling oven. You want them to be crispy-done.





Any cheese can be used. We love flavored goudas - like smoked, or chipotle. Another favorite is with a garlic cotswold. I've even used a fancy cheese that had strips of stilton blue cheese - that was great too!



I have some old cracker tins I store them in. My other tin has crackers made from sprouted wheat flour, or was it flour soaked in yogurt ... I don't remember. Homemade crackers are so easy to make, why buy them!!!!



In case you don't have sourdough started and are dying to make crackers, here's my Wheat Thins recipe from my book -



3C whole wheat flour (any grain actually)

1/3C olive oil

1C water

1/2 tsp salt



Mix all the ingredients together. You could add other spices or herbs. Knead as little as possible till it makes a smooth ball. At this point I'd roll thin on ungreased baking sheets, cut into squares and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until crisp. But now I'd let it sit covered for at least 8 hours before rolling out and baking. Sometimes, depending on your oven, if outer edges are getting too brown, remove them and return to baking.


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I am going to make this today...I love wheat thins, just can't justify the price of a little box.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...