March 27, 2009

Ukrainian Eggs

I thought I'd post about Ukranian Eggs now with a link to where I purchase the stuff from. We often give this one kit as a wedding present. And you can read last year's post with more pictures, and then more pictures.

Last year's post tells the history of me starting to do these eggs in 1973. So it's been a long time, and the success grew exponentially when I started using these tools and dyes.

I have a box in the garage I can pull out whenever someone comes, or I want to do Ukrainian eggs. I don't think we're going to have any company coming this year to do eggs unless Travis brings a crew. His young married friends want to come again, but with him being a music minister, he wouldn't want to come till the busyness of Easter is over. We'll see.

And, as I said in last year's post, I would love to do these as Christmas ornaments to give away or sell. Monte made the shelf last year and from the same above link source I bought the egg stands.

And last summer I varnished them for the first time ever - a final step I've always skipped. So some of the varnished ones are older and already faded. These dyes are toxic, so no eating of the eggs, but are not run-proof, so make sure the varnish is not water-base.

3 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

they are lovely! I have some pretty egg shaped ornaments from Turkey. You made these? How?

I ordered some of your books from Amazon tonight to give away. Do you ship directly from home and did you self publish?

Karey said...

We now self-publish Hearth & Home. It was out of print a couple years and I got SO many letters ... Yes Amazon sells it via me. I can ship direct if you contact me. The shipping is then cheaper.

Karen Deborah said...

Whoops I ordered it through Amazon. but nice to know we can just contact you. I'm going to give two friends a copy.
I love Monte's illustrations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...