September 3, 2010

Green Chili Zucchini Casserole

Another zucchini dish ... 'tis zucchini season. This is a dish I'll be doing during winter with sliced zucchini I'm freezing (freeze slices on cookie sheet then bag up).



Slice 8 zucchini in 1/4" slices and steam a bit then place in greased 9x13 dish.

Add 1 C chopped onion

4 oz chopped green chilies

Make 4 cups thick white sauce, simmering the ingredients to begin thickening:

1/2 C oil or butter

1/2 C flour

2 C broth

2 C water

Add 1# grated cheddar cheese and pour over.

Top with 1 C bread crumbs

Bake 1 hour at 350



Whenever Dawson's friends are here they often make grilled cheese and tomato soup. Their favorite tomato soup is Pacific organic Roasted red pepper and Tomato soup in aseptic cartons. Some was left in the refrigerator the last time I made this zucchini dish, so I used it in place of the water in the white sauce ... it made it even more delicious!!!!!!!!!



The last post mentions my freezing a bushel of roasted green chilies, bagging up 4oz portions. In my kitchen's freezer I keep a ziplock bag of bread crumbs. In my pantry I have a papertowel lined basket I drop leftover bread in to harden for crumbling in the food processor or blender. I make homemade bread most of the time and there's often just a slice and heal left in the bread box. I break up the leftover bread pieces some before putting in the basket to dry. Where we live is not humid, nor do we have many bugs. I don't know if this would work elsewhere. I suppose I could leave the broken up pieces in the bread box for drying too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...